Blended learning combines the best of the classroom with the best of digital. Classrooms, virtual or face-to-face, allow the teacher to be agile and responsive to students' needs in real-time; digital provides opportunities for self-directed learning with great content and tests to measure your own progress.
In a workplace environment, a blending learning programme allows learners from multiple busy teams to attend training without having to give up a full day out of the office. It uses multiple methods to deliver the learning, including traditional teaching methods, to embed rich feedback, while also giving learners control over the time, place and pace of their development.
In this case study, we look at how one of our clients – an international bank - needed to scale a two-day classroom Leadership Development program to develop people leaders faster across the globe.
1 – our challenge
Our client ran a successful two-day classroom course. This course was highly interactive with rich opportunities for networking and collaboration. They needed to reach a larger globally dispersed audience but were concerned that a move to digital meant losing the human element.
Our challenge was to:
- Reach a larger audience
- Reduce travel costs
- Reduce time away from billable hours
- Ensure opportunities for networking
- Retain the quality of a classroom program
2 – our approach
We developed a blended learning solution delivered as a fully-digital programme that was:
- Entirely digital and mobile-friendly for easy access to content
- Flipped classroom model to maximise social time
- Spaced over four weeks to embed learning and combat the forgetting curve
- Collaborative group work during the programme to build networking opportunities
- Included individual call to actions after every session
- Encouraged buddy groups to be formed on programme closure
3 - Benefits
A blended learning Leadership Development programme to develop people leaders globally delivered at a lower cost than traditional classroom training.
- Used collaborative online tools to build communities of practice that are sustained post-programme
- Maintained the quality of learning and learner engagement with the content
- Delivered a Train-the-Trainer program on Virtual Delivery Skills to the client team to build self-sufficiency
4 - key takeaways
The blended learning programme brought a cost reduction and increased speed of rollout:
- Existing course – 80 employees per month
- The pilot – EMEA and APAC, co-facilitated by a Logicearth Learning Consultant. Feedback was reviewed and the programme tweaked and rolled out to an initial 300 global employees over a 6-week period.
- The virtual programme has since been delivered to over 1500 employees.
- Cost reduction in travel of approx. £2.2m
discover scale by logicearth
discover scale by logicearth
Scale is a blended learning service offering a beneficial way to extend your internal training globally and provide a better learning experience with increased knowledge retention.
We use the best virtual delivery tools, methods and skills that are out there, and marry this with smart content and a no-fuss, end-to-end design and development process.
Get a free consultation and make the smooth transition into the world of blended virtual learning.
A plan for blended learning success
The new blended learning elearning pick n mix for grown ups
What is self-directed learning?
This ability to direct our own growth is now less of an academic theory and more a necessity for success in our careers.
Virtual teams challenges
Why are virtual teams important?
Virtual design team